Tuesday, February 12, 2008

What to do, what to do?

I'm considering an alternate plan to my original one. You see, I've recently been laid off due to restructuring and been offered 3 mos severance starting when I have secured a new position or when they have hired an admin for the whole office (a position I had no interest in - I had been promised a full research assistant position for the non-profit arm of the company until the CEO decided that he wanted the project all to himself and that left no room for me). Since I had been casually looking for another full time job already, because I don't like mine, mostly because of the god awful hours, I thought when I was first informed of this restructuring, I would just increase the intensity of my search and move on to another full time position.

Some New Shit has come to light though and there's a 99% chance that we'll be moving to Ithaca in August. The 1% chance of not moving there is if we discover a pork fat rendering plant or something equally offensive that they don't talk about on all the tourism sites. Cornell was Ryan's first choice and he didn't get into his second (Stanford).

Since this New Shit has come to light, I've thought about alternatives to just heading into another full time job. Mainly, just getting a part time job and supplementing that with activities such as planning a wedding, planning a cross country move, volunteering somewhere, and finally, getting a start on those design classes I keep talking about.

I went to the Foothill website to look at what they have to offer for the spring quarter. Rather than restrict myself to just design classes, I opted to look at the whole spring quarter schedule.

Here are is a sampling of classes I can take.


I can't wait.

I think that there must be a way to combine all the skills I learn in those classes to make something lucrative.

In all seriousness, I'm a little disappointed that the courses I actually want to take are offered online. Granted this is cheaper in terms of gasoline, time, etc. but I really do best when I am forced into human interaction. It could be a competitive streak in me, but I do much better when I have other people potentially judging me.

These courses that are all offered online only are either courses in the graphic design department or in the annoyingly labeled: Computers On The Internet department, clearly named by someone who's progressive forward thinking interests has afforded them the discovery that computers are "on the internet" now. Whatever that means. You know, you can send and receive messages to people on this internet thing? They're calling it "electronic mail." Isn't that a hoot? It's also got a wealth of information these days. Wacky!

1 comment:

La Nina said...

Looks like we're in the same boat! Maybe our U-hauls will pass each other in the night on the Kansas interstate.