Sunday, October 12, 2008

Ice Wine

I went wine tasting with Larke this weekend. It was so wonderful to see her and really exciting to find local wine I enjoyed!

We had a Cabernet Franc Ice Wine from Sheldrake Point Winery (Larke and I decided that we need vacation homes in Sheldrake Point, by the way) that was unbelievable. I'm still thinking about how delicious it was. We made our way all the way round Lake Cayuga and I think we are at the autumn "peak" where all the trees are in the midst of changing colours and the hills are a sort of tortoise shell of oranges, reds, pinks, maroons, purples, greens, yellows - it's truly everything everyone's ever told you about Autumn on the east coast. Wine tasting in the Finger Lakes costs a dollar a tasting and the whites are actually quite reasonable (I even bought a bottle of Miss Chevious from the Lucas Vineyards - which is maybe the first time I've ever bought a bottle of white wine that wasn't expressly for Nikki). Sheldrake Point even had some real red wines that tasted like red wines are supposed to - the others generally left a little to be desired. They were not full bodied enough and the wine didn't "sit on your tongue" as Larke put it, the way you want a red wine to. For some reason I have yet to find a Pinot Noir from here that is the right colour.

We went to dinner at Just A Taste, a tapas place that I've been meaning to try and was excited that we finally had a good reason to go there.

All in all, a very successful weekend.

1 comment:

Miss Bee said...

There is hope yet for the wines in NY!!! So glad you had a fun weekend. Can't wait to visit you...

xoxo