Sunday, April 22, 2007

Purity Balls

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

My general fear of committing to someone is lapsing. This is how committed I am:

I changed my myspace profile to say that I'm "In a Relationship".

Big deal right? I still can't call him... that word.... you know, the one people use to describe a person that they have sex with but do other things with as well...?

Unless of course you're one of those girls who attended these. Because these girls only hold hands. For those of you too lazy to click the link (and perhaps have not yet discovered the wonders of tabbed browsing), it's the Wikipedia article on Purity Balls. Basically fathers take their daughters to these balls in order to ensure there virginity stays intact before the girls wedding night.

This is an archaic, disgusting practice.

The Wikipedia article claims that it is in response to the Christian ideal of sexual abstinence is losing favour in our current society.

I find it disturbing that any father has that much interest in his daughters sex life. It seems that unless he has raised an insecure, naive doormat of a daughter, she should have no problem finding her way in the world. I find it more disturbing that any father would take such an active role in his daughters sex life as to make the decision for her whether or not to have sex. Fathers sign the "Covenant of Purity and Protection":

"I, (daughter's name)'s father, choose before God to cover my daughter as her authority and protection in the area of purity. I will be pure in my own life as a man, husband and father. I will be a man of integrity and accountability as I lead, guide and pray over my daughter and as the high priest in my home. This covering will be used by God to influence generations to come."

Speaking of active role in his daughters sex life, let's talk about the language here, specifically the term "cover my daughter". The term "cover" is a term that breeders use when bringing a male to breed with the female. I'm horrified. Especially looking later on in the covenant to read "This covering will be used by God to influence generations to come."

Incest aside, I also find it disturbing that these poor, poor girls are treated as though they must be passed from one man to another. The father signs the contract and then "gives her away" when she gets married.

The picture that I get from this is that there are thousands of parents out there raising little girls with the idea that they are property and not to be taken seriously. And they will grow up and marry men as equally perverted and dominating as their fathers and because they are such doormats, will also raise little girls with no sense of self except through what the church tells them they are.

No comments: