Friday, December 19, 2008

Son House to the rescue: I get stared at on a train for an hour.

On the train from the Victoria station to Polegate, I had the very odd experience of being stared at for the entire trip. On the one hand, I think it's great that 19 year old boys think me attractive enough to stare at for over an hour, on the other hand, it was a little disconcerting to say the least, if not utterly distracting. Try reading a book when someone is literally leaning out of their seat staring at you. He moved seats 2 times to get a better view.

So, I fished my ipod out of my bag, found some Son House and stared out the window. To break the tension and relieve the boredom, I pretended to look suprised or interested at things outside or at the other end of the train, in an attempt to see if I could get him to turn his head and look at what I was looking at. It worked on several occasions, but the hard part was trying not to giggle in victory afterwards. I think he had just about worked up the nerve to say something to me when just around the time I had jammed my headphones into my ears, because as soon as I did that, he put his hands up to his face in an expression of utter defeat. Then he moved to the seat next to the one he was in (the second seat move) and continued staring at me through the space between the seats. At one point, he was leaning on the seats in front of him with his eye pressed up to that space.

No comments: