Saturday, April 24, 2010

Dog Ages

Just a note to people that refer to their pets as their children:

This morning, I was sitting on the floor by the bed. Ryan was sitting on the side of the bed, his legs hanging over the side, drinking a cup of tea. Jeeves was between me and the bed and Barnaby was lying on his back in front of me.

I scratched Barnaby's belly and he reached up and grabbed Ryan's toes with his mouth, causing Ryan to squeal and almost spill the tea. Jeeves leaned over and licked the side of my head. The thought occurred to me that if I had children the ages of 11 (Barnaby) and 40 (Jeeves), while chewing on someone's foot might be considered okay for the 11 year old, licking the side of my head would most certainly be unacceptable for the 40 year old. So would crying and screaming during thunderstorms and being unable to share.

4 comments:

slartibartfast said...

So... you're a bad parent?

Incident Alice said...

I never claimed to be a good one.

Janey said...

Aren't having pets like having children who are perpetually two or three years old? (One age or the other - depending on the intelligence of the pet and how well you have trained them.)

Incident Alice said...

Yes - except they are more house trained and have a better sense of self preservation, both things that worry me about children.