Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Reasons People Have Sex

I was forwarded a survey about reasons people have sex.

I skimmed it, because, well, it's a medical paper and I was only interested in "the gist", otherwise known as the abstract, and possibly the conclusion.

Basically,

"Historically, the reasons people have sex have
been assumed to be few in number and simple in nature–to
reproduce, to experience pleasure, or to relieve sexual
tension. Several theoretical perspectives suggest that motives
for engaging in sexual intercourse may be larger in
number and psychologically complex in nature.
"

This study attempted to learn what other reasons there might be for people to want to have sex, aside from reproduction, you want to and it feels good. The possibilities are quite numerous and amusing.

Here are some of my personal favourites, chosen because of the scenarios that could potentially cause them to occur:

"I wanted to change the topic of conversation"

"I wanted to see what it would be like to have sex with another person."

"It was a favor to someone."

"It seemed like good exercise."

and my personal favourite:

"I wanted to keep warm."

No comments: