Saturday, January 31, 2009

Insomnia and Asparagus Scones

I have been suffering from frustrating insomnia, not for any particular reason other than genetic, but frustrating none the less. I suggested to Ryan yesterday that perhaps I was gradually becoming nocturnal (I mean more so than I am already) and asked him if he would still love me, were that the case.

"I'd try. But it'd be hard, because I'd never see you."

Last night, I went to bed reading a Christmas present from my father, Children Playing Before A Statue Of Hercules, short stories compiled by David Sedaris. I actually fell asleep (not because it's not a good book! It is! You should read it!) while reading for the first time in weeks and was in blissful somnolence by around 11:30. Then I was woken up, loudly by knocking on my door.

The knock came again, rousing me further from my unconscious state and thus I realised I'd better go and see what it was about. Ryan was no where to be found and I wasn't wearing anything except a small t-shirt and underwear. As I was steadying myself on the door frame and looking around my house in confusion, a voice called out,

"Hello! Hello?"

Yes, I replied.

"You order some teepiedoe?"

"What?"

"teepidoe."

"What?"

"Did you order some teepidoe?"

I was trying to figure out what he was saying as well as work out the current problem of me being trouserless. I couldn't really think how I was to solve both problems.

Luckily, at this point, Ryan returned.

"You live here?"

"Yes."

"You order some teepidoe?"

"What?"

"teepidoe."

"What?"

"Did you order some teepidoe?"

"No."

Ryan checked the address on the receipt and it was ours, but clearly, we couldn't have ordered any teepidoe as we had no idea what it was.

This morning, I asked him about it. He was just as confused as I was as to what the man was saying, but seeing as he wasn't mostly asleep and was wearing trousers, he had the wherewithal to send the man away.
***
Prior to that incident I had made Asparagus Scones. I absolutely love asparagus. And I love asparagus wrapped in phyllo dough, but having neither phyllo dough nor the time to make it, I looked for something that would provide the same satisfying, carbohydratey, buttery deliciousness. They're a great thing to stick in a packed lunch.

2 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
3 tbs parmesan cheese
1 1/2 c grated cheddar cheese
1 c butter, diced.
1/3 c milk
2 eggs
1 lb asparagus, steamed


Prehat oven to 425 F.

Trim the tips from the asparagus and reserve. Slice the stems into quarter inch thick little cylinders.

Combine the dry ingredients and the parmesan cheese.

Add the butter and smash with a fork or pastry knife until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.

Combine eggs and mik in a seperate bowl, then add to the flour mixture and stir until it all starts to come together.

Add cheddar cheese and asparagus pieces (not tips). Bring together to form a nice stiff dough and knead (add more flour if necessary).

Once all is incorporated, lay dough out on a floured surface, knead a few times and then form it into a rectangle, about 1/2 an inch thick.

Using a sharp knife cut rectangle into 3 strips, lengthwise. Cut each strip into triangles or rectangles or whatever. Place triangles onto a greased baking sheet.

Brush with milk.

Press asparagus tips artfully into the tops of the scones.

Put in oven for 15 - 20 minutes.

1 comment:

Nina said...

I want scones and...maybe teepidoe. I thought of another movie for you to: The Fall, by Tarsem Singh. It's a lot like Cinema Paradiso, but if Cinema Paradiso was about manipulation and betrayal instead of love and trust. Enjoy!